Thursday, June 30, 2011

Mushrooms

We did some fiddling with our mushroom fruiting chamber this week.We have a shiitake mushroom block and an oyster mushroom block in there. I'll have to post pictures of the set-up we've got some time. But anyway, the oyster block must have liked what we did, because it's been very productive this week.



I harvested about a dozen mushrooms, 41 grams altogether. There are about a dozen more that I left on the block because they're still on the small side, but they should make a nice side dish later on this week.


I tried a new recipe with these. Well, okay, more of a made-up-as-I-went-along recipe. I combined some shredded spinach (3 cups or so), a diced red bell pepper, some fresh basil and parsley, some garlic, and a couple tablespoons of bread crumbs. I had some radish greens leftover, so I tossed those in too. I sauteed that with a tablespoon of olive oil and two tablespoons of soy sauce for 5 minutes, added the mushrooms, and sauteed for another 2 minutes. I think it turned out fairly well, so it goes in the "I'll make this again" pile.

2 comments:

  1. those look so great. i tried an oyster mushroom kit recently and it grew some tasty mushrooms, kinda dried out though...but then i didn't have a mushroom fruiting chamber. in fact i'm not even sure what that is, but it sounds awesome.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Impressive harvest! I just grew my own mushrooms from a kit, and while it was easy, the yield was not great. Those humble fungus sure are finicky... But so delicious.

    ReplyDelete